Inkscape is open source vector graphics software, similar to Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. It is cross-platform, available for Linux, MacOS and Windows, and offers a wide range of tools for creating and editing vector images.
- Linux: Most Linux distributions provide Inkscape through their package manager. For example, on Ubuntu or Debian, you can install Inkscape with:
sudo apt-get install inkscape
- MacOS: You can download Inkscape for MacOS from the official site or using package managers like Homebrew.
- Windows: Visit the official Inkscape website and download the installer for Windows.
Inkscape's interface is intuitive. On the left side, you'll find the drawing tools, such as pen, rectangle, and circle. At the top are options for the selected tool, while to the right are panels like "Layer" and "Fill and Stroke."
Creating basic shapes
Creating a circle:
- Select the "Circle" tool on the left toolbar.
- Click and drag on the canvas to create a circle.
- Use the "Fill and Stroke" panel to change color and border.
Editing of paths
Create a custom shape:
- Select the "Bezier" tool (similar to a pen).
- Click to start a path and click again to add nodes.
- Use the "Ctrl" key to create straight lines.
- Double click to end the path.
- Select the nodes and drag them to shape your shape.
Working with text
- Click on the "Text" icon in the toolbar.
- Click on the canvas and start typing.
- Select the text and use the options bar above to change the font, size and alignment.
Create a title with a subtitle
1. Create a text "My title" and set it with a large font.
2. Below, write "This is a subtitle" and reduce the font size.
3. Select both texts and use the "Align Center" option to center them.
Export and save your works
When you're done, you can save your work as an Inkscape native SVG file or export it to formats like PNG or PDF.
- Go to
File > Salvato save as SVG.
- Go to
File > Esporta Bitmapto export as PNG.
With these basic steps, you're ready to start using Inkscape and experience its powerful features! With practice, you'll discover all the advanced tools it offers and you'll be able to create high-quality vector graphics. Happy drawing!